Designing your spreadsheet
When designing anything you first need to start with a design plan!
Your design should include:
The intended purpose of the user requirements
Design documentation that includes:
- a working structure diagram showing the proposed layout, calculations, processes (e.g. formula and functions) and data input method (e.g. labeling and row and column use, forms, cell formatting, validation, conditional formatting)
- user input interface identifying appropriate tools and techniques
- user output data (e.g. ideas for presentation showing formats and tools and techniques
- onscreen user navigation and guidance (e.g. navigation prompts, input messages and validation (including lists)
- test plan with test data to test functionality (e.g.test, expected results, actual results)
- a brief outline of alternative design ideas (e.g. choice of calculations and artistic style of the solution).